The Gray Pages

Monday, May 22, 2006

Things Dave and Christine are tired of hearing about:

So, there was a survey in Sports Illustrated. They asked a bunch of players who is the most overrated in baseball. Derek Jeter came out as the most overrated.

As one of those Washington pollsters who is runing America, I have some opinions on this. Of course, I'd design it differently. But I digress.

But my favorite thing that has come out of this poll (more accurately, the news story about the poll) is that many TV announcers have felt the need to comment on it. And they all agree that the poll is wack (I'm quoting Steve Phillips there), that Derek Jeter is the greatest ever. Joe Morgan said, "Well, they didn't ask me."

I really enjoy this, because if Derek Jeter is overrated, and the players all feel this way, it is the TV broadcasters who have overrated him. I mean, it's not like the players are sitting around reading Baseball Prospectus and doing their own research. They're watching ESPN, like the rest of us. (Though they probably have TiVo, unlike me.) So when Joe Morgan goes on and on about how great Jeter is, he's in the process of overrating him. As far as the players are concerned.

Not me, though. I love Jeter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home