The Gray Pages

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I hate ...

(a) watching a Rick Sutcliffe-announced game and
(b) watching the Red Sox lose.

If (a) and (b) are both happening, I won't watch. I can watch the Sox lose, and I can watch Rick Sutcliffe, but suffice to say I turned off last night's game in the second. He's a million times worse than Joe Morgan. Morgan is WAY easier to ignore. Sutcliffe is an idiot with an annoying voice. Morgan is just an idiot.

"You look at Johnny Damon, now there's a guy who may not be leading the league in on-base percentage or runs scored but he gives you something no other lead-off man in baseball can give you: home runs. And that's why he's the best there is."

Alfonzo Soriano and Grady Sizemore have hit 15 and 10 homeruns out of the leadoff spot, respectively; Damon has 7. Ten players have more than 5. (Fun fact: there are 30 teams in MLB.) And recall that Sutcliffe said that no one else can hit homeruns as a leadoff hitter. Apparently, the list of true leadoff hitters consists of Damon, Ichiro, Jose Reyes, Juan Pierre, and David Eckstein.

Geek stat: runs created. Johnny Damon has been the 4th-best leadoff hitter in baseball.

1 Comments:

  • Honestly, I have to go back to that time in 'Nam when a guy confused the willy pete and suntan lotion for the last time I saw someone get their tits lit up like Josh Beckett last night. I had the option of ESPN or NESN and still shut it off.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home