The Gray Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ignoring the obvious

During the Ghana-Czech World Cup game, the announcers and/or an on-screen graphic would occassionally tell viewers which team was wearing which uniform. (Ghana, as you might guess from this photo, was wearing white and occassionally practicing karate-volleyball during the match.) This might be helpful when Bolivia plays Uruguay or Russia plays Kazakstan, but I'm not sure I need the assistance when a West African nation plays a team from Central Europe.

One of my favorite aspects of the Cup has been choosing a team to root for in each match. In that match, I was rooting for Ghana because their winning would (and did) help the US. Plus, when I lived on 18th Street, Ghana Cafe was basically next door to my apartment, and I liked the guy who owned it. The food? Eh.

Does anyone else find it a little interested that Ivory Coast, Ghana, and Togo -- continuous countries -- all made it? There's like 60 counties in Africa. This can't be a coincidence. Can it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home