The Gray Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

10 minutes of Home Run Derby

Harold Reynolds said (sometime around 9:50 or so) that David Ortiz would win, because he has the experience of knowing what it's like to compete in a Home Run Derby.

Ryan Howard, Miguel Cabrera, and David Wright -- each competing his FIRST Home Run Derby -- all hit more homers than Papi. I'll just assume that I missed Reynolds's retraction, later in the broadcast.

And while this may seem like a small thing, a thing so small that it wouldn't fit into the dot the top of the i just typed, I bring it up because I am insane. No, wait. I bring it up because this -- THIS -- is my essential complaint with pundits of every stripe: when they are PROVEN wrong, they never, ever, ever, ever admit it. Ever.

Admit it, Harold: Bill Russell was right. ("Experience don't mean shit." -- 11-time NBA Champion, Gold Medalist, 2-time NBA Champion Coach, 2-time NCAA Champion. The quote is framed on Red Auerbach's desk.)

2 Comments:

  • Not every stripe.

    John Madden regularly admits when he's wrong. (The most high-profile example being when he said Tom Brady should take a knee instead of trying to win Superbowl 36 in regulation.)

    By Blogger dl004d, at 10:03 AM  

  • I stand corrected. Most stripes.

    By Blogger Josh, at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home