The Gray Pages

Friday, January 05, 2007

And I'm learning that I wouldn't want it any other way

I don't get personal on this blog very often. But The Grand Marnier just let me borrow her copy of the Barenaked Ladies's (I'm having trouble with the possesive here. Do I have that right?) "Barenaked Christmas," and I just connected some dots in my head.

In December 1997, I made a trip to Madison -- legendary in certain circles for 22-year old Josh making an absolute fool of himself while having the time of his life and honing the practice of talking in the third person to absolve his future self of any actions on that trip. The less said the better.

Marnie and dl004d were dating then. Well, maybe they were. Time gets a little hazy, and it's impossible to believe that trip was nine years ago. Either way, I found myself in a Marnie-driven car, introduced to my future best man's future wife for the first time. Little did we know, eh?

Upon the radio came BNL's Life, In a Nutshell. I loved them then. So did Marnie. Dave protested. The song stayed.

I don't like the band nearly today as much as I did back in December 1997. It's a nice album, but I won't be buying it any time soon. There's a wonderful version of Auld Lang Syne that closes the album. Slurred lyrics better reflect why I'm so embarassed by December 1997, but the words themselves are beautiful and appropriate as I remember the first time I met my good friend.

1 Comments:

  • My hatred of the BNL has mellowed over the years. Anyway, Marnie & I weren't dating at that time. But you're forgiven for not remembering, since I witnessed you undertaking actions that would make a person's memory become quite hazy.

    By Blogger dl004d, at 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home