The Gray Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Randy Johnson

One of the interesting things about going abroad for a couple of weeks (especially if you include five days near Orlando as foreign travel) is the news that one misses. I was heading to a bar in Montezuma, Costa Rica, when I passed by a television set, turned to ESPN, showing an NBA game between Philadelphia and someone else. It dawned on me that I had gone all that time without wasting a moment hearing news about entire categories of stuff I don't care about.

In an era of twenty-four hour newscycles (an era that I can't imagine will ever end), something has to fill the thousands of hours of programming weekly on this collection of stations. Almost by definition, we can look back on many of these so-called events and realized how unimportant they are. Or were. Being abroad, I got to miss out on this stuff entirely. It was great.

Which brings me to the current saga of Randy Johnson. That he's established himself as a jerk of the first order is now beyond question. That it matters is simply amazin'. In a just a few months, he'll be pitching the opener against the Red Sox, a team that was largely dependent upon lefties Johnny Damon at the top and David Ortiz in the middle of the order for its offensive punch. Whether the Big Unit (and his horrible nickname) can silence those lefties and Manny Ramirez will say a lot about what happens in game one of the 2005 ALCS.

In the meantime, I'm going to return to John Adams as much as possible, and try to stay focused on the big picture, and not the big pitcher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home