The Gray Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2006

I'm very upset about this story

I can't believe that 30 little league teams in Massachusetts were named the Yankees.

For the record, I don't think Needham had a team named the Yankees. I always found it a little strange, though, that my AAA team -- the Giants -- was part of the Dodgers system. And now, I will have a conversation with myself.

- Hey, Josh, remember the time you played first base during Mike Torissi's no-hitter?
- Yeah, that was great.
- You got called up to the majors after that.
- I didn't even know I was being scouted.
- Well, you were the oldest kid in AAA.
- I'm not sure that's true.
- One of the oldest.
- Yes.
- Why was that?
- They always held tryouts on Sunday mornings, and I had to be in Hebrew School. I fact, I can only remember trying out once, and I couldn't get drafted by a major-league team unless I was at tryouts.
- Wait, what about all those Catholic kids you grew up with? Mike Burke, Kevin Hallahan ... didn't they have to go to church? Why would they hold tryout on Sunday morning?
- Good question. That also reminds me: I used to think that there were as many Catholics as Protestants, because every Christian I knew was Catholic.
- I'm glad we had this talk.
- Not me. You were boring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home