The Gray Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

This week in Rick Sutcliffe

During last night's game, Rick Sutcliffe was making an impassioned (read: lacking in logic) case of why Chipper Jones should be elected to the Hall of Fame. Sara (making her blog debut!) was feeling equally passionate about something, so I couldn't hear the entire argument but I did see a couple graphics on screen that, between cries, I think comprised part of Chipper's case.

- Chipper Jones, you see, is among the top 4 home run hitters ... among switch hitters in baseball history since 1960 or something. (He's trailing Eric Davis, I believe.)

- Chipper Jones is also one of just four active players with more than 2,000 hits ... all of the same franchise.


Now, either of these attributes -- the part in front of the ellipses, that is -- seems somewhat impressive. But once the qualifications are added, I fail to understand why I should be impressed.

Does Rick Sutcliffe know that Ron Santo isn't in the Hall of Fame?

5 Comments:

  • Baseball Prospectus just covered the this topic, though I can't say their conclusion was terribly clear.

    By Blogger Tom Clancy, at 3:41 PM  

  • Damn, I thought they were going to write about Sara and her DORV (diapers over replacement value) index.

    By Blogger Josh, at 3:46 PM  

  • Eric davis batted exclusively right-handed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

  • I wasn't watching that closely -- could it have been another Davis? Or was ESPN wrong?

    They definitely were saying something about homers as a switch hitter -- Eddie Murray was on the screen, too.

    By Blogger Josh, at 11:12 AM  

  • As it happens, I think Chipper Jones could very well wind up in the Hall of Fame, and maybe would deserve to. I should have mentioned that.

    By Blogger Josh, at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home