The Gray Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"Today's baseball stars are all guys named Rodriguez to me."

So rants Andy Rooney. As it happens, there are lots of Rodriguezes. Lots of Ramirezes, too, which is a name that's easy to confuse with Rodriguez if they're all named Rodriguez to you.

It got me thinking: what's the best All-Time Name Team that could be created?

1B: Rodriguez
2B: Rodriguez
3B: Rodriguez
and so forth.

I don't really want to do the work on this, but I think a squad of Williamses could beat a squad of Rodriguezes or Ramirezes or any other names. Off the top of my head:

LF: Ted Williams
CF: Bernie Williams
3B: Billy Williams
1B: Matt Williams (since 3rd base is taken)
SP: Woody Williams

There are two Hall of Famers named Collins; two Gibsons; two Hubbards (one's an ump); two Jacksons; a Kell, a Kelly, and two Kelleys -- which ought to count for something; four Robinsons (a ha!); two Smiths; and three Williamses.

If I do another post on this, I'll envision one game of Williamses versus Robinsons, winner-take-nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home