The Gray Pages

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Predictions

Fact is, I don't have predictions so much as preferences. I think the Red Sox will beat the Angels and that the Indians will beat the Yankees, but that's also what I want to happen. (I have no idea which version of the Yankees -- I'm think specifically of their starting pitching and defense -- will show up. It's entirely in New York's hands.) And I think the Red Sox will probably beat the Indians, but maybe not.

As I type this, the Phillies-Rockies game is already underway, but I have no idea what's happening in it. I think the Rockies win this series (and I'm rooting for them) and that the Cubs will beat the D-Backs, which would also be my preferred outcome. Anyone who isn't rooting for the Cubs (and doesn't work for the Tribune Companies) has no heart. And if the Cubs can win their first series, they can win another. What they can't do is win the World Series. Not because of any curses -- such things don't exist -- but because they aren't very good.

5 Comments:

  • But just two posts ago, in your list of preferred teams, you have the Phillies listed ahead of the Rockies. What happened?

    By Blogger Jason Hammersla, at 8:34 AM  

  • What happened is that everyone loves a winner. (Except me.)

    By Blogger dl004d, at 10:35 AM  

  • I think dl004d's right. I was swept up by the 163rd game. And seeing them charge has been pretty cool. The longer it lasts, the more I like them. It's an air-tight recipe for fair-weather fandom: as soon as they lose, they'll be much less interesting to me.

    Really, the preference for COL or PHI would be a pretty thin one, if one exists at all.

    I'll say this: the Phillies are NOT helping their case by waiving those towels. Clap, dammit. Clap.

    By Blogger Josh, at 10:45 AM  

  • I like the towels. And in any case, I strongly prefer them to "thunderstix."

    By Blogger Jason Hammersla, at 1:13 PM  

  • Pom-pons > towels > thundersticks.

    Then again, I've never seen pom-pons at a baseball game. For some reason, they'd seem pretty sissy at a baseball game, but they fit in at football games.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home